Back Issues

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Book Review: Feed: ( News Flesh, Book 1)


Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1) by Mira Grant (aka Seanan McGuire) was published April  27th, 2010 by Orbit Book and camesecond for the Hugo Award for Best Novel in 2011.

Summary:
Georgia and Shaun Mason are brother-and-sister reporters in the apocalyptic near-future. The two of them run an on-line newspaper and are tasked with following a Presidential candiate. Various calamities befall the campaign and the charming candiate and the intrepid reporters must uncover a great conspiracy. 

Impressions: 
The more I read and the more I write, the less I find myself able to enjoy fiction. That being said, I fear that I couldn't judge this novel fairly. Know that before reading further. This novel got a lot of my writing instincts clattering, nothing more so than with the character of Peter Ryman. I kept getting the sense that Grant had liked  Ryman for the villain. All through out the first half of the novel, he has a sort of superificial, calculating way about him. The actual villain, David Tate, felt like a red harring because he was so obviously the bad guy. Georgia had even said, "Peter Ryman seems too good to be true." He's a prominate polictical figure who's staunchly middle-of-the-road and apparently no scandals, whatsoever. He's the leader of everyone's dreams and my writer and reader instincts compelled me to believe that he was evil because of it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment