Back Issues

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Matthew H. Jones: Who I Am

My name is Matthew H. Jones. I've been writing fiction since I could hold a pen and I've been wondering why. It's a major part of who I am and a major part of fiction is telling lies.

I'm not saying that all writers are liars, but I know that I am. I remenber being in Kindergarden and telling my friends that the Black Power Ranger was my older brother. I remember saying in the 4th or 5th grade that I could hold my breath for 5 minutes. I remeber stealing quarters out of my little brothers U.S state coin collection.

There's this egotism about me. I want the world to work a certain way and writing lets me do that. In real life, I'm a little powerless. I have no money. I have to connections. I'm kind and people respond to that kindness, but that hasn't gotten me anywhere. I'm tired, right now, as I write this and I'm trying really hard to end this without leaving my readers thinking I put a gun in my mouth.

I know.

What's the difference between a truck full of dead babies and a truck full of bowling balls?
You can't unload a truck full of bowling balls with a pitch fork.

No comments:

Post a Comment